Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Game Development course in Spring 2012

I'll be offering a Game Development course in the Spring 2012 semester for computer science majors. The prereqs are Data Structures and OOP. This is the first time this course has been offered since fall 2009. Like the fall 2009 course, this one will use the XNA platform, the same platform used by Xbox and the new Windows Phone 7 OS.

I am considering structuring this course like my ongoing Android course. Students would be placed on two-man teams and would deliver a number of software engineering milestones in order to produce noteworthy games which could be released in the Xbox Live Marketplace as XBox Live Indie Games.

I'm also considering having our students compete in Microsoft's Imagine Cup or perhaps the Dream.Build.Play Challenge. These would be exciting programs to participate in, but I'm not sure if they would be something we could tackle in just a single semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment