Saturday, December 23, 2006

End of the semester at ODU

I’m in my office at ODU overlooking a very barren campus. Everything is closed down, and all the faculty, staff, and students have started their vacations (mine starts tomorrow when the woman, the bean, and I fly out to see my parents in St. Louis ).

A few days ago I took some photos of the many changes going on around campus:




Here's my building (ECS). Nothing has changed here, but I thought I'd get a picture of it anyway. My office window is 3 floors up, left of the lobby windows.
This is what the new dorms look like from outside my office window.
These are the new dorms that are going up across from the ECS building. They are on top of what was the parking lot to the gym. Notice the stylish port-a-potties.This is a close-up of one of the finished dorm. The other will be finished in a few months.
The old gym has been gutted... it looks like a hurricane swept out the old basketball courts.These are two new structures next to the gym. I think they're going to be the new indoor tennis courts, but I could be wrong.



ODU is also building a new bookstore and a research center near the village.

Some interesting, news-worthy items about the 76 year old university:
  • According to the New York Times, ODU is the most racially diverse four-year institution in the country.
  • ODU is getting a football team in 2009- a little late for me, but just in time for the class of '09.
  • Sometimes when the university upgrades their software, you get thousands of dollars loaned to you with 0% interest.

1 comment:

  1. Frankie-it's been awhile! I was uploading some pictures to Walgreens and had 26 minutes of uploading time. Long story short, I googled your name and up popped your website.

    3 years ago, Geri and I moved to St Louis from Highlands Ranch (for her job). We adopted a cute little boy, Benny, from Guatemala, and am in the process of adopting a girl from Korea. Life sure has changed from our CO days...but we miss Colorado. Hop on the blog sometime and check out our family.

    I hope you're enjoying your stint as a student again.

    Eric Cope

    ReplyDelete