Monday, March 08, 2010

I'm at SIGCSE 2010 this week

Tomorrow I'll be leaving for SIGCSE 2010 in Milwaukee, WI. I had a blast at last year's SIGCSE symposium (my first), so I'm really looking forward to this year's.

On Wed I'm attending the Media Computation Workshop presented by Mark Guzdial and Barbara Ericson (Georgia Tech). The workshop shows educators how to teach an introductory computing course with a focus on manipulating pictures, sounds, and video. My intro class has practically none of these elements, so this workshop has the potential to really shake-up how I teach.

On Thurs I'm presenting a paper entitled Teaching Web Information Retrieval to Undergraduates. Web IR is currently a much-overlooked topic at the undergraduate level. This is somewhat surprising considering how ubiquitous search engines have become and the significant attention Web IR receives from tech giants like Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo. This paper is about my experience developing a Web IR course at Harding and the types of projects I've employed in two different offerings.

I'll be blogging about some of the more interesting presentations I see, so check back in a few days for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment