Friday, September 03, 2010

Loving my Droid X

I've had it less than a week, and I'm hooked. The Droid X's screen is large (4.3"), sharp, and bright. The keypad is easy to type, the touch interface is extremely accurate and responsive, and reaction times are quick. The video playback is fantastic. It's quick to connect to the Verizon 3G network or local wifi, and I've gone nearly 3 days without having to recharge. It's running Android 2.1, but Froyo (2.2) is supposedly coming out soon.

Below is a photo I took from chapel this morning using the Droid X's 8-megapixel camera. Not bad considering the lighting. I'm standing in the pit at the front of the auditorium with my fellow faculty members. (The singing, as you could imagine, is awesome with a packed auditorium.)


One small negative: When I first entered my Facebook account credentials, it sucked up all my "friends" and put them in my list of contacts. Now my 500+ contact list is full of people I haven't seen in years and certainly don't contact on a day-to-day basis. If I want to remove an individual from my list of contacts, I'm told I have to remove them from my list of friends on Facebook. Boo.

I haven't added many apps yet (the phone comes with approximately 30 apps pre-installed). But one I did add was the Bible app from YouVersion. It allows me to simply say "Genesis chapter five verse twenty", and boom, you're there. Won't this be fun to play with during Bible class on Sunday. wink

Hey Apple, when are you going to create an iTunes for Android? This is probably the only reason I will hang on to my iPod Touch for now. (Yes, I've heard of doubleTwist, and I'll give it a try soon.)

Any other apps I should install?

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! The Droid X is an awesome phone. I have the Nexus 1 and I'm itching for a new phone, but its still very nice.

    You can remove the Facebook contacts from your phones contact list from the "Accounts & Sync Settings" in the settings menu. From there just click on Facebook and uncheck "Sync Contacts".

    As for the apps, there are sooo many good apps. I suggest getting a Google Voice account and using that if you haven't already. I'd also switch out the app launcher with Launcher Pro (its free even though it has the word "Pro" in the name). It provides a much better home screen than most standard Android app launchers and its much faster and smoother.

    You can also check out SongBird which is an open source alternative to iTunes. It syncs well with Android phones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Carlton.

    The problem with removing Facebook contacts is that I do want about 20% of them in my list... I just want a way to remove the other 80%. There doesn't seem to be any way to do this. (Maybe someone has created an app to tackle the problem?)

    I'll take a look at some of your suggested apps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi frank. if you hit the menu button while you're viewing the contacts you can choose which groups you want it to sync. At least that's the way it works on my old G1, but I'm still running 1.6. I use mediamonkey to put music on my phone, but it doesn't handle video. Doubletwist has worked great for me when transferring vidoes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahh, ok I see your problem. There is another setting for that. From your contacts list press the menu button and go to the display options, then click on facebook, then unselect "All Contacts". That will make it so that it only augments what you already have in your gmail/phones contacts. You may lose some of the 20% you want to keep but you'll just need to add those manually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate the help, guys. I'd really like to keep the info (especially photos) that Facebook gives me on my clients, so I don't want to turn them off. I'll just have to get used to having a huge contact list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's a link to a good article talking about the first 20 apps that you should install on a new Android phone. http://www.businessinsider.com/best-android-apps

    ReplyDelete