Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What are you doing this summer?

I've been asked a number of times what I'm doing this summer since I'm faculty and have no classes to teach. Last summer I was doing research in Los Alamos, but this summer has been very different. A lot of my time is spent at home, getting adjusted to life with a newborn and toddler and helping Becky get some extra sleep in the mornings.

Professionally, I've presented a few papers at a conference, co-chaired a workshop, and am working on a paper about my search engine courses.

But most of my working days are spent producing a series of instructional videos for Introduction to Programming with C++ (2nd ed) by Y. Daniel Liang. You can sample a video I made just this week on file I/O. I'm not sure if the videos will be available to book owners only or made freely available on the book's website. I'll hopefully wrap these up by end the end of July and then start on videos for Liang's Introduction to Java (8th ed).

I'll be preparing soon for my Games Programming course. This course has only been offered once at Harding before, and it was taught by Dana Steil who is currently away working on his PhD. I'm excited about teaching this courses, but it's also a lot of work to teach a class for the first time, and it's a little disconcerting that I will likely not get to teach it again since Dana will likely want the course back when he returns.

So that's my summer. What are you doing?

Update:

I'm no longer doing Liang's Java book. I didn't finish the C++ videos until Aug... where does the time go?

1 comment:

  1. Hey, that's awesome! I've not touched C++ since my time at HU. I work with VB.NET and some XSLT at work, and in my free time I'm picking up PHP, which I'm absolutely loving so far.

    Also, I'm staying pretty busy with church and aikido (martial arts) in my spare time.

    And that's what I'm doing with my summer!

    ReplyDelete