Friday, March 16, 2007

TechLunches at ODU

On Wednesday we held the first TechLunch at ODU. Brandon Hill (another Ph.D. student) and I organized the lunches as a way for CS graduate students to meet each other and share their research or other expertise with the group. We had 20 students show up for Brandon’s talk on source control software. After taking a vote, it looks like I’ll be presenting an introduction to .NET at the next TechLunch. (That is, if Ethan doesn't come early.)

I’ve wanted to get this started for years, but I was finally motivated to do so when interviewing department chairs a few weeks ago who noted that these types of talks are really useful for cultivating good Ph.D. programs.

If you are in the area and interested in sitting in on the talks, please feel free to join us. I’ve created a wiki at http://bluwiki.com/go/TechLunch which lists the upcoming talks.

No comments:

Post a Comment