Friday, September 14, 2007

Nokia 2610: The worst phone I've ever owned

When we moved from Virginia to Arkansas, we switched our cell phone service to AT&T. Of course our T-Mobile phones wouldn't work (what's up with that?), so we had to purchase new phones. Being the frugal couple people we are, we picked their least expensive phone, the Nokia 2610.

I find it hard to believe that this phone passed a thorough usability inspection (looks like I'm not alone). The arrow buttons are so narrow only a squirrel can press them, and the screen is totally unreadable when outside, even on a cloudy day. The default button shortcuts makes me think they just randomly chose from the set of options no one ever uses. Maybe it's the just the poor reception in this area, but the voice quality is pretty lousy as well.

The only positive thing is that it doesn't have stupid buttons on the side that accidentally get pressed when in my pocket, changing my ringer from vibrate to loud (thanks to Motorola for that exceptional design).

Sorry, but I'm just not in the best mood today. Maybe it's because I keep running into poorly designed technology that causes me to waste an exorbitant amount of time or just get angry. Here's just a few gripes:
  • A few weeks ago I wasted 15 minutes trying to find the Print button in Office "let's-confuse-them-by-removing-the-menu" 2007. (At least I didn't have to figure out how to open the box.)
  • Yesterday I rebooted my computer a dozen times because various software I installed said they "required" rebooting.
  • Vista continues to ask me 10 times a day if I really meant to start a program or change a setting.
  • iTunes won't play a purchased TV show on my brand-new computer without pausing every 2 seconds for 20-30 seconds at a time.
  • I can't get my car to quit saying "Maintenance required" on the dash because it requires me to do the equivalent of saying the alphabet backwards while standing on my head underwater.
  • And I keep hitting the panic button on my car door opener because some bozo thought they'd put the button right where by thumb needs to be when pressing the trunk button!
Argh...

Oh yeah, my dissertation is due 3 weeks from today, so I'm a little more uptight than usual.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, Office 2007 is horrible.

    One of my co-workers thought that they took out the ability to choose which printer you wanted to print to because it is so ridiculously designed.

    As for your iTunes video problem, why not try something else? I'd recommend VLC Media Player for videos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion, Dustin. I tried out VLC but it wouldn't play iTunes video, most likely because of the DRM built into the video file.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Frank!

    It seems that the wrong guy got the wrong phone. There are zillion other Nokia models you could try. I hope you'll find a better one for your fingers. :) No, I'm not working for them anymore...

    Blessings for dissertation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks to me like you got a bad unit. I have this phone and it works good. I found only 1 problem and 1 thing I don't like. The problem is when you go to enter symbols (like for texting) it crashes because there is a bug. The thing I don't like is the ringer is not very loud but otherwise this is a good phone.

    ReplyDelete