Monday, May 05, 2008

Los Alamos, here we come

This summer the family will be packing up and driving out to Los Alamos, New Mexico. (Actually I'll be doing the driving... Becky and Ethan are taking the plane.) I'll be doing some summer research at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) with the Digital Library Research and Prototyping group starting in June.

Los Alamos is a small town, approximately 45 minutes northwest of Santa Fe. It wasn't even on the map back in the days when they were developing The Bomb. As you can see from the map, it's pretty much a straight shot west from Searcy.


We're really looking forward to going out west, especially since it's unchartered territory for Becky and me (I'm from Denver, but I've only been to New Mexico once). And from what we hear, Los Alamos is a beautiful place to live. Some friends from church lived out there for several years, and they have nothing but good things to say about it.

So, if you're in the neighborhood, please look us up. Or if you have any suggestions of places we should go while we're out there, let me know. We're already thinking Denver and the Grand Canyon are 2 possibilities although Ethan hates car trips.

5 comments:

  1. Gotta eat here:
    http://www.ranchodechimayo.com/
    Great Spanish food.

    Taos has a fun culture.

    This Rio Grande Gorge is amazing to stand on:
    http://www.sangres.com/statenm/taosbridge.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan,

    Thanks for the advice.

    BTW, I was at Prestoncrest a few weeks ago, but I must have missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey buddy, very excited for you! How long will you be there at LANL? Are you working all kinds of data, or images & video? I'm very interested in that field, fill me in on what you're allowed to.

    I was just down in ABQ for a conference I ran video for; would have been great to hook up. I did get to see John & Amy Parish (HU '94) and meet their kids.

    Ah, I40. Kristi and I nearly died there near Shamrock, TX. The local C of C took us in and sheltered us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allan,

    I'll be at LANL all June, July, and part of Aug. I'm mainly focusing on digital preservation of the Web. Probably be writing a lot of code and developing a proof-of-concept system.

    I'll have to look up the Parishes. You'll have to come down again.

    I seem to remember in college you getting in a bad car wreck coming to or from Colorado, somewhere near Amarillo, in a snow storm. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Frank-

    My family used to go to Red River, NM every summer to the family encampment. We always had a great time. If I remember right Red River is about and hour north of Taos. Here is the link to the encampment - www.rrfenewmex.com

    Hope you guys have a great summer!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete