Friday, September 05, 2008

Fav5

My pick of the week's top 5 items of interest:
  1. Google Chrome. It's fast. It's (mostly) secure. It's open source. It's all people are talking about.

    Personally, I really like it. Especially the Internets easter egg.

    The only thing I'm not fond of is how the Omnibar is used for entering URLs and search terms. While this creates a spartan interface, it also erases my search term after I enter it. Sometimes it's helpful to have it remain visible so I can quickly perform the same search in another tab.

    Also it mixes my search terms with my URLs while I'm typing... that is going to take some getting used to.

  2. When you write a paper, you want others to cite it, especially if you trying to get tenured. And it turns out there are some not-so-obvious things you can do to increase your chances, at least in the field of astro-physics. My guess is this is true of other fields too. 1) If your paper appears in a mailing list, make sure it's near the top. 2) Write longer papers.

  3. Trivia: Which web browser was the first to display an image?

  4. Interesting article on cyber warfare.

  5. This week I updated my Introduction to PHP for C++ Programmers. It now includes regular expressions, exception handling, and OOP. Let me know if you see something I should change and/or add.