Friday, September 05, 2008

Fav5

My pick of the week's top 5 items of interest:
  1. Google Chrome. It's fast. It's (mostly) secure. It's open source. It's all people are talking about.

    Personally, I really like it. Especially the Internets easter egg.

    The only thing I'm not fond of is how the Omnibar is used for entering URLs and search terms. While this creates a spartan interface, it also erases my search term after I enter it. Sometimes it's helpful to have it remain visible so I can quickly perform the same search in another tab.

    Also it mixes my search terms with my URLs while I'm typing... that is going to take some getting used to.

  2. When you write a paper, you want others to cite it, especially if you trying to get tenured. And it turns out there are some not-so-obvious things you can do to increase your chances, at least in the field of astro-physics. My guess is this is true of other fields too. 1) If your paper appears in a mailing list, make sure it's near the top. 2) Write longer papers.

  3. Trivia: Which web browser was the first to display an image?

  4. Interesting article on cyber warfare.

  5. This week I updated my Introduction to PHP for C++ Programmers. It now includes regular expressions, exception handling, and OOP. Let me know if you see something I should change and/or add.

3 comments:

  1. My initial reaction to Chrome is that they did a great job on the Javascript engine rewrite. Since I use a platform that has intensive Javascript usage, I can tell a very noticeable difference in the browser compare to Firefox and IE. The DOM rendering is fast.

    The ability to export applications (like mine) to the desktop or start menu is nice too. GMail is a good experiment for this.

    I think more browsers are going to do this, but I do not like re-sizable TextAreas. When I design a page, I want the components to stay the size that I set them to, not allow the user to drag them around.

    The memory management is better than I have seen in Firefox. Since each tab/window is its own process, memory is easy to clean up. Compare this to other browsers that tend to leak (My Firefox creeps up during the day and does not tend to come back down).

    I think the UI could use some help. The 'clean' look that they are going for seems a bit amateur.

    The new tab feature that shows your most visited sites is useful and well done. I was worried that it would lag, but they do a good job of showing a snapshot of the page.

    Dragging tabs out into their own window and then back into the main window is pretty cool.

    For an initial beta release, this is exciting. I have not yet tested the CSS compatibility of it yet. Since it has taken corporate culture so long to recognize Firefox (most banks that I work with do not), I wonder if this browser will ever become corporately acceptable.

    Sorry for the long comment...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frank! I was just about to begin to study PHP :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the re-sizeable text areas because sometimes developers make them way too small... give the power to the user. ;-)

    ReplyDelete