Monday, July 02, 2007

Finally, a web interface for Warrick

Warrick finally has a web interface. Actually it's more than just an interface, it's a queueing system that we call Brass. You can read more about Brass in a paper I presented at IWAW 2 weeks ago. We're hoping the interface is intuitive enough for those who are not very technically inclined to be able to recover their lost website (or someone else's lost website) without too much difficulty.

We had a masters student (Amine) working on Brass for quite some time, and over the last few months I've been overhauling the interface and tightening up the security. (I'm sure there's still some holes in it, but it's much better than it used to be!)

Below is a screen shot of the opening interface.


After submitting the requested info, the user is sent a confirmation email (to avoid recovering websites for bots). Once the user confirms the request, the job is queued and later dispatched to a free machine. The user is emailed when the job completes, and then the user can download the recovered set of files from the lost website.

Go ahead and give it a spin, and let me know if you have any problems.

*By the way, the really cool Warrick logo was created by two graphic design majors at Harding: Andrew Murray and Luke Jones.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I can see a cached copy containing scripts, html files, and images, but a database? That's the key for any sites I make (and most made today).

    An interesting application of caching sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allan- The problem with web archives and search engine caches (the Web Infrastructure, as I call it), is that it can't store the server components (scripts, databases, etc.) of a website. But I've developed a method where the server components are actually injected into the WI so they can be recovered, and I'm currently running an experiment as a proof-of-concept. I'll probably write about in the next few months.

    ReplyDelete