Saturday, July 05, 2008

Are SnapShots annoying?

You may have noticed that I recently added SnapShots to my blog. When you hover over a link to an external website, a preview box pops up to show you what it links to. For some websites like Wikipedia, the preview box is formatted in a different manner (see below).


The purpose of SnapShots is to allow you to see if you really want to click on the external link and perhaps keep you on my website longer. They also display advertising and will share some of the revenue with me.

All I've really noticed though is how annoying it is to have a window pop-up over the text I'm trying to read. Does anyone else agree with me?

Maybe I just need more time to get used to it. However, a paper presented at JCDL 2008 shared an experiment with a PDF viewer where the users complained about a preview box popping-up over their text... in general it looks like users are not appreciative of such a feature.

4 comments:

  1. Snapshots used to bother me when it was on a website. Now that I have the NoScript plug-in for Firefox, I would never even notice that you've added it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely annoying. I tend to highlight the paragraph that I am reading and follow the text with my mouse. Nothing is more annoying than a pop up that blocks the viewing area.

    This is becoming a very popular feature and so I am learning to deal with it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went to click to make a comment, I got a snapshot. They suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must agree... these SnapShots are driving me nuts. They're Xed.

    ReplyDelete