Wednesday, November 21, 2007

More bandwidth at Harding

Harding has finally increased its Internet bandwidth capacity, from 40 Mbps to 80 Mbps... there are going to be a lot of happy students returning from their Thanksgiving break.

In the past month, accessing the Web was really frustrating. I would get a failed HTTP connection about half of the time. I was told YouTube made up 40% of Harding's Internet traffic!


Here's a graph of Harding's projected Internet bandwidth requirements over the next few years, thanks to IS&T. Guess our little fix is temporary. By 2010, we're all going to have problems anyway.


Update on 11/29/07:

Although Harding doubled its bandwidth, I still have frequent problems downloading pages. According to one of my sources, our needs are still exceeding our new limit. I guess its time to start capping enrollment. wink

3 comments:

  1. I remember... when HU net access... was a CLI email interface (pine?).

    What about bittorrent traffic? Has that been an issue?

    I wonder who the other frint runners are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol - "front" runners. Dang iphone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Bittorrent is blocked, but I don't know enough about the technical details to know if that's possible. My guess is Facebook is also a big hog, now that every page is packed with images.

    ReplyDelete