- This is very cool: Google News now shows quotes taken from news sources. What has John McCain been saying recently?
- Udi Manber, VP of search quality at Google, answers 20 questions about web search. (I made my search engine class read this.)
- Researchers at University of California, Santa Cruz are working on long-term archiving using disks rather than tape. Their system, Pergamum, "is a distributed network of intelligent, disk-based, storage appliances that stores data reliably and energy-efficiently."
- Video games are becoming a big business ($9.5 billion last year in the US), and universities are listening, creating degree programs for game developers.
- Microsoft worked so hard to get their Office Open XML (OOXML) standardize accepted by ISO. And now the bad news: Office 2007 doesn't produce documents that adheres to their standard. My guess is the next service pack changes the file format so it does conform.
Friday, April 25, 2008
My 5 items of interest for the week: