Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Move Over" law is being enforced in Arkansas

While driving through Pocahontas, Arkansas, on Hwy 64, Becky and I encountered a police officer on the side of the road giving someone a ticket. We were in the right lane close to the two cars, so I snugged the left side of the lane to give them plenty of room. I could have moved over a lane, but there wasn't any need since they had plenty of space.

A few minutes later the same police car was tailing us with his lights on. After being pulled over, we were told that we had vilolated the law because we did not move over a lane when driving past him. I couldn't believe it. This was a law?

Now you would think the officer would have checked his records and seen that I had never received a ticket in my life. "Hmm... this is a law abiding citizen... maybe I should just give him a warning since he's the kind of person who will follow the law now that he knows about it." Instead, he gave me a whopping ticket.

I could say more about the ridiculousness of getting ticketed for this offense, but instead I just want everyone to know: you must pull into the other lane whenever you pass a police car, ambulance, etc. Don't say I didn't warn you.

2 comments:

  1. That is really dumb.

    Here in Ohio we have signs telling us to move over for stopped vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arkansas has the same signs. Sorry Frank. Welcome to the ticket club. My Mother-In-law has been either with me or in a car near every ticket I have had. And I have only had three. OK maybe 4. But all have been within the past few years. So I had a pretty good record, until...

    ReplyDelete