Friday, December 28, 2007

Benazir Bhutto assassination

I was surprised to learn yesterday that former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto, who had been assassinated earlier in the day, had visited Harding University in 1991 as a speaker in the American Studies Institute. This was her first trip to Arkansas. Jimmy Carr served as Bhutto's host while she was here, and he was interviewed yesterday by a local news station about Bhutto's trip. Dr. Carr said Bhutto was very interested in the South and showed a genuine interest in Harding. She also feared for her life, even in a small town like Searcy.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sad to hear that. I was there in 1991 when she spoke, and went to hear her speak. I thought, "how many chances will I get to hear a former national leader speak?" I don't recall the content, but she was a very interesting speaker. It broadened my mind on international politics, and made me think about how someone as different as she (woman, Pakistani, muslim, politician) could create a speech that would connect with kids in Arkansas.

    Pakistan has been in the throes of chaos before, but this will make it even harder to stabilize. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete