Monday, December 31, 2007

Favorites of 2007

In keeping with last year's tradition, here are some of my favorite things from 2007:

Events:
  1. Ethan's birth
  2. Moving back to Arkansas
  3. Completing my dissertation
  4. Attending the Cowboys vs. Redskins game
  5. Graduating with my Ph.D.

Photos:

It was hard to choose just a handful... Ethan is one photogenic kid!

Urkel baby


Commercials:
  1. Nike Leave Nothing: Makes me want to put on pads and hit someone.

  2. Batman - Dark Knight trailer: Gives me goose bumps.

  3. Huckabee - Norris ad: "My plan to secure the border? Two words: Churck Norris"

  4. Dude and Bugger.

  5. K-Fed's Nationwide: Life comes at you fast.

Movies I saw:
  1. Amazing Grace: The true story of how God inspired William Wilberforce to help end the slave trade in 19th century Britain.

  2. 3:10 to Yuma: Great story of a father's determination to care for his family.

  3. The Greatest Game Ever Played: The true story of 20-year-old Francis Ouimet who faced his idol, Harry Vardon, in the 1913 US Open golf tournament.

  4. Spider-Man 3: Venom is one of my favorite bad guys.

  5. Glory Road: The true story of Texas Western coach Don Haskins who led the first all-black starting line-up for a college basketball team to the 1966 NCAA national championship.

Books I read:
  1. Money, Possessions, and Eternity by Randy Alcorn: We used this book in the YMCA (Young Maturing Christian Adults) Bible class early in the year. The book had a strong influence on how I view and use money.

  2. The Jesus I Never Knew by Philip Yancey: Perhaps one of the best books about Jesus I've ever read.

  3. Bringing Up Boys by James Dobson: A very useful guide for a new dad.

  4. Sacred Parenting by Gary L. Thomas

  5. Kingdom Come: Embracing the Spiritual Legacy of David Lipscomb and James Harding by John Mark Hicks and Bobby Valentine: I haven't completed this book yet, and it's not exactly my favorite, but I've enjoyed learning more about James A. Harding from whom Harding University takes its name.

End-of-the-year lists:
  1. Wired News' 2007 Foot-in-Mouth Awards
  2. Time's Top 10 Quotes of 2007 (#1 is the best)
  3. Time's Top 10 Editorial Cartoons
  4. Wall Street Journal's Best of Ads, Worst of Ads

No comments:

Post a Comment